If you’re visiting Walt Disney World during September and October, chances are you’re attending or contemplating attending Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party, or MNSSHP for short. MNSSHP is full of festivities and excitement for children and adults of all ages. It’s absolutely, without a doubt my favorite event at Disney World! If you’ve never attended a Disney party before, you might find yourself becoming overwhelmed, but don’t worry! I’ve got you covered! Below are a few helpful tips that will ensure that your family gets the most out of your party experience:
1. Get there early! Even though the party doesn’t officially begin til 7PM, party guests are allowed to enter starting at 4PM. This is the perfect time to hop on Space Mountain, shop at the Emporium, grab a bite at Pecos Bill, or (if you’re patient enough) stand in line for the MNSSHP meet and greets.
2. Do not use a park ticket on Magic Kingdom on the day of the party. Party tickets range from $68-87 for adults and $63-82 for children, which is actually cheaper than a one-day ticket at the Magic Kingdom. There is so much to do at the party, you’re going to want to rest at your resort during the day.
3. Don’t be afraid to wear a costume! MNSSHP is the ONLY time when adults can wear costumes (kids can wear costumes regardless). Go all out! Part of the fun of the Halloween party is seeing everybody’s costumes! If your family agrees, you could even do themed costumes for the whole family.
4. Bring a change of clothes. It’s still pretty hot during September and October in Florida, so bulky and thick costumes are going to be uncomfortable as the night goes on. I suggest bringing a change of lighter clothes (or a lighter costume) so you can last the whole party without sweating buckets.
5. Bring a bigger treat bag. During the Halloween Party, you will be given a complimentary treat bag. However, it’s not nearly big enough to carry around your loot. Last September, my 4 year old daughter walked away with nearly 20lbs of candy! There are trick-or-treat stations scattered all over the park, and the cast members literally scoop up two handfuls and dump them in your bag. You’ll notice that as the night goes on, the cast members will give you even more candy!
Photo Credit: Disney Parks Blog
6. Visit rare characters! It’s not every day that Jack Skellington, Sally, the Seven Dwarfs, Captain Jack Sparrow, and the Villains appear in the parks. But beware! These lines can get rather lengthy, so I suggest doing your meet and greets towards the beginning of the party.
7. Visit common characters in their Halloween outfits! Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Daisy Duck and Goofy are out-and-about during the Halloween party in their festive outfits! Lines are typically a lot shorter than the rare characters with waits only 10-20 minutes long.
Photo Credit: WDW Shutterbug
8. Grab your parade spots! The Boo to You parade runs twice a night, with the first parade being much more crowded than the second. I suggest grabbing your spots for the parade approximately 15-20 minutes before it starts.
Photo Credit: Disney
9. Watch the Hocus Pocus Villain Spelltacular! This is brand new show debuting last fall, and it is sure to be extraordinary! If you love Hocus Pocus, you’re going to want to see the Sanderson Sisters along with other infamous Disney villains.
Photo Credit: Tom Bricker at Disney Tourist Blog
10. Last, but not least, watch HalloWishes! This fireworks spectacular is breathtaking! My daughter and I actually watched the fireworks while riding Goofy’s Barnstormer over and over again. However, I’m sure the best spot is right in front of Cinderella’s Castle.
Check out some of my other Disney-rific posts!