I will admit. I’ve been stuck in a rut when it comes to dinner. I desperately needed to broaden my culinary horizons. There’s only so many times I can eat chili, spaghetti, lasagna and pot roast before I get bored and crave something new for my taste buds. I was searching for one-skillet chicken recipes on Pinterest and discovered this delicious recipe from Little Spice Jar. I decided to adjust the recipe a tad to my liking.
This dish is beloved by both myself, my boyfriend and my daughter. Trust me – that is NOT an easy feat. The lemon and the heavy cream pairs perfectly with each other. I couldn’t be more pleased with this recipe, and it will definitely be a staple in my household for years to come.
This dish is simple and quick to make. Unlike the original recipe, I didn’t pound down the chicken, but you can if you prefer thinner chicken.
I’ve recently made the switch from butter to olive oil, so I heated up a tablespoon or two into the pan before adding the chicken. Over medium-high heat, brown the chicken for approximately 2-3 minutes per side. You don’t need to worry about it being cooked all the way through. This is just to get some yummy chicken bits for the lemon sauce we’ll be making shortly.
Mix together chicken broth, lemon juice, garlic powder and red pepper flakes in a small bowl. After you remove the chicken, pour the mixture into the skillet. Scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen the brown bits. Let it reduce for 5-8 minutes or until the sauce has noticeably thickened up.
Afterwards, remove the skillet from the heat and whisk butter until completely melted. Then add whisk together the heavy cream. Put the skillet back over the flame for only 30 seconds. Do NOT let the sauce boil.
Remove the pan from heat and add back in the chicken. Spoon the sauce onto the chicken and place the skillet into the oven for 8-10 minutes. You can top the chicken with parsley or basil. I chose parsley.
- 4 boneless chicken tenderloins
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 375ºF. In a large oven-safe skillet, heat olive oil on medium-high heat.
- Place the chicken in the skillet and brown for 2-3 minutes each side. It's okay if it's not cooked all the way through.
- In a small bowl, mix the chicken broth, garlic powder, lemon juice and red pepper flakes.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet, then pour the mixture into the pan. Scrape the brown bits from the bottom. Reduce for 5-8 minutes or until the sauce noticeably thickens.
- Remove from flame and whisk butter until melted, then whisk heavy cream until combined.
- Place back on the flame for just 30 seconds. Be sure not to let the sauce boil.
- Remove from the heat and place the chicken back into the pan. Spoon the sauce over the chicken, then put the skillet into the oven for 7-10 minutes or until cooked all the way through.
- Top with parsley or basil.