Disclosure: I received product in exchange for my honest opinions.
Bella’s hair is long.
You would think that I spend hours on her hair every day with washing, brushing, and styling, right? Well, that’s where you’re wrong! It is totally possible to wash, brush and style extremely long hair without spending an extremely long amount of time.
20 minutes (or less) is all it takes to go from the picture on the left to the one on the right. My daughter’s hair is a tangled mess at the end of every day…without fail. I used to dread brushing it all out until I followed the tips featured below in this post!
And guess what? It’s done with NO TEARS INVOLVED! Can I get a hallelujah and an amen?!
1. Entertain Them: No no no, you don’t have to put on a rock concert or fashion show for them (unless you’re wanting to…I’m not judging). Just put on their favorite TV show or let them play with their Nintendo 3DS for 20 minutes while you brush their hair. Not a fan of screen time? A coloring book will work just as fine. If you do hit any trying tangles, they’re less likely to notice!
2. Use Rock the Locks Not So Knotty Conditioning Detangler: The main secret to detangling quickly without tears is finding the right detangling spray. For us (and likely you too), the right detangler is Rock the Locks Not So Knotty Conditioning Detangler.
Not only does this detangling spray smell super fruity (which Bella loved), but it’s free of parabens, phthalates and alcohol…and it WORKS like a charm! All you do is spray it on the section of hair you’re currently working on. I feel spraying it in sections rather than all over all at once is more effective. Even though detangling her hair takes little time, it still dries rather fast.
3. Brush in Sections: Don’t attempt to take a brush and start at the back of the head. The back is usually the problem area for tangle-prone hair. Start at either side of the head and work around…and in sections. I suggest taking about 2-3 inches of hair at a time, spray the detangler and brush away.
4. Grab the Hair Near the Scalp: This is actually a trick I learned from my dad growing up. With troublesome sections of tangles, grab the hair near the scalp and…
5. Start at the Ends: Begin brushing the ends of the hair rather than the roots and work your way up the section. When you grab the hair near the scalp, you’re preventing the hair from pulling and thus…preventing pain. Besides finding the right detangling spray, this is crucial to brushing out tangles with no tears involved!
6. Go Slow: I know, I know…I said this would take 20 minutes or less, and it does! Trust me! To detangle hair quickly, you have to slow it down. If you brush too fast, you’ll only create more small tangles and spending more time detangling the hair.
7. Braid the Hair: If you braid the hair before bedtime, you’ll save even more time the next morning! When I braid Bella’s hair the night before, it only takes me FIVE MINUTES to brush her hair in the morning!
Rock the Locks has a whole line of deliciously-scented products dedicated to making washing, brushing and styling hair a lot simpler – including Shampoo + Conditioner, Curl Boost, Hairspray, Flex Style Gel and Texture Paste!
These natural hair care products for kids contain NO parabens, NO phthalates and NO alcohol!
—-> You can purchase Rock the Locks products at your local Walmart! Use the store locator to find which one is closest to you. <—-