This one pan dinner recipe is comforting to the soul!
Throughout my pregnancy, I’ve been craving creamy chicken dishes – fettuccine alfredo, chicken and dumplings and one of my all-time favorites – creamy chicken noodle skillet. It has everything I could ever need in a comforting meal – noodles, veggies, chicken and heavy cream. Not only do I love it, but I think baby does too!
Dirtying up tons of bowls, plates, pans and pots is something I avoid at all cost. My favorite thing about this particular recipe is that it can be made all in one pan! I spend less time cleaning and more time with my daughters.
Now let’s get this show on the road…
To start, you’ll need to cook the chicken in the pan until alllllllmost done. You can bypass this step by using shredded rotisserie chicken. None of the stores by my house sell rotisserie (boo hiss), so I simply use boneless chicken breasts. While the chicken is sizzling in the pan, chop up carrots and celery. You can also add onions, but we don’t do onions in this household. Yuck. After the chicken is almost done, place on a plate. I know, I know. I said this recipe can be completed from start to finish using one pot, but since you’re not putting raw chicken on the plate, you can re-use it later to plate your meal.
In the same pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add your carrots and celery (and onions, if you prefer) to the pan and sautee for approximately 5 minutes. Then, add garlic and cook for another minute or two. Next, add flour and cook until the veggie/butter mixture is thick.
Increase the stove to medium-high heat, grab your heavy cream and chicken broth, and slowly pour into the pan.
Add the egg noodles and cook for approximately 7-10 minutes or until the noodles are soft. Once the noodles are done, add the chicken back into the pan and let cook for another minute or two. All done and ready to eat eat EAT! There won’t be any leftovers, I promise. Dennis and I kept going back for additional helpings! This is definitely a comfort staple for us!
- 2-3 boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2c heavy cream
- 1/4c all-purpose flour
- 1/2c carrots
- 1/2c celery
- 1/4c butter
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 3-4c wide egg noodles
- Cook chicken until almost done. This step can be bypassed if you choose to go with rotisserie chicken. Once done, place on a separate plate.
- Melt butter over medium-low heat, and sautee celery and carrots until soft (approximately 5 minutes). Add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add flour and cook until veggie/butter mixture is thick.
- Slowly pour in chicken broth and heavy cream.
- On medium-high heat, add egg noodles and cook for 7-10 minutes.
- After noodles are done, add the chicken back into the pan and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy!